Friday, April 7, 2017

The big thaw.

It's been a long cold winter with lows of minus 37 c and not a lot of snow. I really didnt get out for much ice fishing but the thaw is happening and soon the lakes and rivers will be open again. When I get home I am hoping the local river will be open enough to target a few bulls.
This week I am in the Vancouver area, where the water isnt so hard, and naturally I brought a rod or two. Its been raining lots so a lot of the rivers are higher than I like to fish but I did manage o fish the Vedder river with a friend last weekend. The rain held off for the most part but unfortunately the wind picked up which made it hard to cast the spey rod. We didn't get any fish but we watched a guy on the next run down hook and land a steelhead then go back to his sport and proceed to hook a second one within his next couple of casts. At least we onew there were fish in the river.
This weekend I am likely headed to a different river to look for steelhead and hopefully out for sturgeon on another day if the weather cooperates. Its been too long since I have hooked into one of those giants.

Here's to a good fishing season with bent rods all around.

No comments:

Post a Comment