Saturday, September 14, 2013

A quick stop

It was a dark and stormy night..... .. .. well no.. actually it was a foggy morning and an early start today due to baby sitting duties in the afternoon.

I thought I would check out the lower Fraser River to see if there were any pink salmon moving through. I arrived at the river in Langley at around 7:00 am, and I was back in the car and driving again within half an hour. Langley was dead, no fish showing and only one other fisherman. Could have been that the tide was still heading out and was quite low, but I didn't feel like sticking around to find out. Off to the Vedder river in Chilliwack I went.

I arrived at the Vedder river after battling Saturday morning traffic caused by what seemed to be an unnecessary lane closure on the highway due to "construction". The vedder was looking in good shape and the fog was beginning to lift by the time I got there. I parked and walked in to a few spots and was met with mixed emotions. I was both excited and disappointed at the same time. I was excited to see the large quantities of pink salmon in the river but I was disappointed to see an equally large population of fishermen too. I had forgotten how busy that river gets during salmon season. The last time I was there was the winter steelhead run where the average angler stays home instead of braving the cold for so few fish.

I half heartedly fished a couple runs on the fly, hooking into a couple pinks and filming a little bit of under water action with my gopro camera.

Tomorrow I may go back with my center pin and some roe to see if I can find some springs and coho mixed in with the hordes of pinks.

No comments:

Post a Comment